Old 06-20-19, 10:55 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
And peace upon your house, too AnkleWork. I'm not trying to frustrate you. I now see that while the texts describing the kits are EXACTLY the same, and the "Description" is nearly exactly the same (different size tube and patch, but using the words "instant adhesive" in both cases), that the DIMENSIONS are listed differently. I guess I'm just too much of an engineer: I expect DIMENSION to be, like, a number or numbers with an associated unit(s). I suspect that I saw "DIMENSION" and didn't even look at it. So one item has dimensions of "Rubber Glue" and the other has dimensions of "Instant Adhesive"? And BOTH are described as having "Instant Adhesive"? Given that I missed the "rubber adhesive" and I WAS LOOKING FOR IT, and that both items have identical text blurbs and nearly identical descriptions, and yet are (apparently) different, I'd have to say that this is another extremely example of extremely poor, customer unfriendly communication on Hutchinson's part.

I am not letting go of the poor instructions for the MTB kit, because I think it's dangerous. Further, I think that the MTB kit should at least have stuck to the tire and sealed it temporarily, and it didn't. I tried some of the techniques others used above (keeping the clear plastic on, for example) and held the thing for five minutes. And it still hadn't stuck - came off easily. I did try the technique jadoc suggested, but I guess I wasn't as adept.

I've written Jenson USA (because I remember clicking on the Road option when I ordered, and got the MTB option). No response yet.

Yikes, yeah there is definitely something going on with that glue in the MTB kit. I will caveat my experience with the fact that I think after applying the patch, I let it sit for a good long while. I wanted to make sure everything was dry before I made it wet again with sealant. I also made sure to clean the area very very well using rubbing alcohol prior to applying glue and new patch, because the surface was "greasy" so to speak from the old sealant.