View Single Post
Old 09-13-19, 09:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. I can't speak for others, but I already admitted that this particular crash would have been difficult to avoid in that final second. Also that it is rare.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Rare but it does happen.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. And you also admit to not properly monitoring your rear view mirror when it happened

All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind. Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders

The issue in this particular crash that makes it so uncommon is the motorist unknowingly gliding from a “safe” lane position, into the edge where a cyclist just happened to be at that exact moment, all in about 1 second... Leaving the cyclist almost no time to notice or react, even if he was paying proper attention. Sure it can and did happen, but nothing I’ve read or seen shows that it “happens all the time”?

Riding farther right on the shoulder doesn’t eliminate the risk of being taken out in this rare manner either. I suppose in some instances it may give one another second to notice and react, but not all. If you fear this type of crash, even when taking all precautions and properly monitoring, then maybe don't ride….

Many “competitive cyclists participating in open course road events or serious amateur cyclists on training rides” also eschew the use of a mirror.

No matter the lane position, it is simply not possible for a mirrorless cyclist to monitor motorist actions behind them with the same level of speed and accuracy as one with a mirror
+10 to the use of mirrors. Regarding my mishap:
When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view.

In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways...
Of course one usually has to more continuously monitor the forward line of travel, intermittently the rear.
…My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”
Furthermore
Regarding the question of taking the lane, I’ve always felt it is a question of pragmatism, though I probably too obsequiously favor keeping the drivers happy by staying FRAP. Recently I posted on this thread:
On a few rides over the past few days I have tried out the more aggressive position, in the right tire track, with very good results. I can easily monitor the driver's responses in my rearview mirror...so far no aggressive maneuvers or honking….

It is still a bit unsettling to take the lane, though my rearview mirrors keep me aware, and I now scan them more frequently, a good thing. I soon determined that at about 30 yards behind me, the driver probably has noticed me, but is not yet impatient.

So at that point I veer rightward to acknowledege the car’s presence and show my cooperative “share the road” attitude.

I did notice that I became so focused on what was happening in front and behind, I had on a couple of occasions to remind myself to watch out for side drives and street intersections.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-13-19 at 10:05 AM.