Old 03-31-20, 08:13 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
What then is the main advantage of these newfangled 1x setups? Is it mainly to prevent chain drop?
Yes, modern 1X rings use narrow-wide chainrings that effectively hold on to the chain better, since every other tooth is wider so that it matches the different widths between links of chain. This helps prevent the chain climbing up over a tooth on the inside or outside and falling off.

Does it help with chain suck?
Absolutely! Most 1X specific rear derailleurs have clutches in the pivot of the cage that prevent excessive and sudden movement forward of the derailleur cage. This helps keep the chain tension tight and helps to minimize chain slap.

I'm also wondering about these super low gears. What is a 32/50 useful for? That'd be about an 18.5" gear on a 29er. I haven't ridden a gear that low since tricycles... Seems like that's low enough that staying upright would take some effort. I can only imagine it's for getting traction on very very short very steep little hills and bluffs with lots of mud. Or is it for trials type stuff?
It's for climbing very steep terrain. On my 29er MTB, I run a 30x42 and often wish for lower gears so that I can sit and spin a bit more. It can be tough to stay upright, but that's just a given on some terrain anyways
Likes For abshipp: