revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61

I experienced the same issue with Vittoria latex tubes. I wore out the Michelin Power 25mm clinchers that I ran last year and switched to Challenge Criterium 25mm Open tubulars that I got at a good price. I reused the old latex tubes (eventually) but had to run the tire with a butyl tube for one ride to get the new tires to conform to the rim and relax a bit. Then I removed one bead, removed the butyl tube then re-installed the latex tube very carefully. The latex tube did have several folds in it which I got reuduced down to one small fold by deflating, applying talc, partly reinflating, then mounting the bead, inflating to about 50 psi or until I heard a noise, deflating one more time then finally inflating up to full ride pressure. No pinch flats yet doing it this way but I’ll admit it is quite fussy.
I've got some Challenge latex tubes in another bike but haven't changed tires on it yet to see if they have the same issue. If not, I'll switch brands; if they do, I'll go back to the thin butyls I've been using. Latex tubes are nice, but the juice might not be worth the squeeze.

Demain, on roule!