View Single Post
Old 04-09-23, 02:42 PM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
A bike unicorn for my wife!!!

As we get older, it has become harder and harder for my wife to mount her bike by raising her leg over the seat. She has been riding a titanium Seven Axiom with S&S couplers. So, our requirements for a new bike included being able to travel with it by air and being a performance and lightweight. That ruled out most commercially available step through or mixte bikes.

We spoke to several builders and flew out to the Philly Bike Expo. We finally decided on Zinn Cycles. Lennard Zinn, author of Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance is well known for building bikes for exceptionally tall riders. He had a used titanium step through complete bike for sale, so we knew that he could build one. We flew out to visit Zinn's shop in Colorado and tried the used bike we liked it but it didn't have S&S couplers and the hydraulic brakes would have made flying with the bike more difficult. So we had Zinn fit my wife for a brand new custom frame.

Before the frame was built, Zinn asked whether we would prefer Paragon Machine Works' Z-coupler system over the S&S couplers we had spec'd. I had talked to the Paragon guys at the Philly Bike Show and their system was impressive!

Originally we were going to go with SRAM 1x11 (cable actuated) like her old bike. After we got the frame and before I built it up, I convinced her to go with SRAM Force AXS 1x12!

This was my wife's 40th anniversary present and we plan to fly with it and ride in France late this summer! I was worried when I built the bike that the reach (effective top tube) was too short. Turns out that it was just the opposite, her old bike was too long. When she first rode it she said, "it felt like it was built just for me ..." and it was!

It definitely is a unicorn!!!

The Unicorn

Frankendrive, SRAM Force AXS wireless derailleur, Shimano 105 hubs, Shimano Ultegra cassette, SRAM Force flattop chain, SRAM Rival crank, Wolftooth chainring and blue wolftooth bolts

Z-couplers are almost invisible

Zinn 40th Anniversary Headbage coincidently it's our 40th anniversary!

Maiden voyage!