BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
1986 Nashbar Race SIS - just bought please advise

Hello friends, just bought this bike, it was actually free on facebook marketplace but i paid $20 to drop it off at my nearby location.

Anyway, i have been unable to find the Ross Paragon of my youth but when I saw this lost soul I couldnt help but become curious.

i soon learned it has the Shimano 600 SIS components and is as far as I can tell complete and all original.

My understanding is that Nashbar was a huge bike mailorder company that would have their branding put on the same bikes found in bike shops.

It has a 23 inch measurement from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube. When I stand over the top tube it is comfortably touching my pubic bone. I am 5'11" and it seems this bike is the right size despite looking too small when I loaded it into the car.

The tires seem to be a type that is glued on which I have never seen before. Also there is no inner tube unless it is sewed into the tire. The valve stems are also of a variety I have never seen. The normal Schrader valve attachment for my air hose does not inflate the tires.

What tire options are available for these wheels?

On the bike stand it smoothly shifts through all the gears front and rear. The little gear wheels in the rear deralieur do look worn to my eye. I wonder if these are readily available.

I prefer an upright position and have decided to find some aluminum mustache bars and a different stem. The current stem is a Cinelli 120 with approx 22.2mm steering tube and 26mm clamp for the handlebars.

I saw this exact bike on ebay yesterday for $1100 but that cant be its actual value can it? After all it is just a Nashbar.

I found limited information on this bike online.

If someone can tell me about tire options for these wheels I would appreciate it. Also info on the handlebar conversion.

I wouldnt mind painting it but if it is some kind of rare valuable bike maybe I shouldnt.

I took a bunch of pics in case anyone is interested. Thanks

As found yesterday.

Sticker still on it but what does it mean?

Likes For BikePower: