View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 11:40 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
'73 or '74, Tour of the Scioto River Valley (200 miles over two days). I had a white low-end Gitane with plastic Simplex derailleurs, steel rims, and the hardest plastic seat (no padding) in the universe, as was the style in those days. My buddy and I rode together. I don't remember doing any "training rides," at all. On the second day, we started with a big climb out of the Ohio River Valley, with stiff headwind, temperature in the low 50's and rain. My butt was in agony from that hard plastic seat. The rain poncho disintegrated in the wind so I was wet to the core. I was desparate for a sag wagon, but none showed up, so I just had to keep going. By the top of the climb, the wind died down, the sun came out, and I guess my butt was numb. When my friend and I got to Columbus many hours later, we were still a couple of hours ahead of schedule, and neither his nor my parents were home to pick us up. What to do? Sit around and wait. Nah, we rode the 15 miles on home!