Old 11-26-18, 03:17 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DieterDrake
... why kids aren't racing bicycles on the road... ...
They were as juniors. Now, most I know, no longer do. Maybe it was a been there, done that, or they had to make a choice. Not being able to race adults under the same rules might have kept some from assimilating into the adult racing culture, and increased cost. Seems less than 20% of the kids I knew (~2014-2016) that raced dozens of UCI Euro road races are racing on the road now. USA junior world ability level being higher now pressures USA kids to decide earlier to be a pro-or not. Once they decide you are not going to climb to the top it is understandable why they don't want to continue the grind. The goal is gone. Maybe USAC shouldn't take kids to Europe to race, rather have them race here, how they want, vs how USAC wants.

Originally Posted by DieterDrake
...While all the above has and is happening, non-sanctioned mass-start riding and racing is thriving everywhere. ...
Mike Nosco, Rogers Cup and other fondos can be far more competitive and seen as more fair than USAC RR. All kinds of groups race together, for fun. They get more riders, more spectators and more video hits. I'll likely head out to Rogers Cup (non Race) to watch - in a few days.