just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
<snip>
Calories consumed are only valuable if they can actually be absorbed by your gut. Over-consuming calories generally leads to excess food, fluid and gas in the gut, which can lead to cramping, nausea, stomach shutdown and an early end to your race.<snip>
I call the resulting condition "sloshy belly." You can feel your belly has food and water in it, but it doesn't go anywhere, just sits there. Eventually, you bonk. Weird but it happens more than one would think. The cure for sloshy belly is to take two Endurolytes and drink plain water (not sports drink!), slow and steady, until you feel it empty. You have to reduce the osmolality of your stomach contents. That's why I always separate my nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes, especially on hot rides or those with lots of climbing. Climbing steals the blood from your stomach, making sloshy belly more common. I've dispensed quite a few Endurolytes to other riders with this condition. AFAIK that always works. When I catch someone on a climb, I know they're sucking, so I ask "what's the problem?"

Just some extra emphasis on that "drink water with your nutrition" comment. There was a BF poster who had a hamburger at a rest stop and 5 miles later was sitting on a curb with low blood sugar. What I'm saying: eat little, eat often.

I put the Endurolytes in a Hammer coin purse and tuck it up my shorts leg.