Old 05-18-19, 01:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
(or is it :/)

A few reasons I believe :
  1. a phone has some kind of hypnotic effect on me. I'll (stupidly) stare at the screen while I should look at the scenery;
  2. experienced cabling problems. I tend to strongly prefer "unbreakable stuff". Cabling + the fact that in downpours a phone is less than optimal and I was questioning why;
  3. a tendency to prefer minimalism. A repurposed Forerunner does everything I need, is rugged, and consumes next to nothing (longing for the 935 with something like a week long autonomy ).
  4. there is no such a thing as free Watts. I'd rather go a bit further, or easier than providing energy to a phone
This being said, our last tour was circling the Grand Canyon. No need to "navigate". Odometer was enough. No current plans (unfortunately) so I don't know. I might reinstall this stuff, then again, I'd think that a watch is enough, and that a power bank is simpler.
I have never relied on a phone GPS for anything, but I am a retired Geological Engineer, I worked with maps every day of my professional career. Thus, I have a stronger interest in knowing where I am on a map than most people. I have half a dozen regular GPS units of varying vintages.

When rolling, I have a GPS turned on, but usually when touring the screen is set to time out every 30 seconds. Not a cycling specific GPS, a general recreation one that also works well for hiking or canoeing. I currently am using a Garmin 64 on the bike, uses AA batteries, I use NiMH rechargeables that I can recharge in the Garmin from my SP dynohub. I use the Sinewave Revolution for USB power off of the dynohub, the GPS will not charge directly from that, it needs a pass through cache battery in line to charge the GPS. Only once have a had a water intrusion problem with a GPS, my vintage Garmin Etrex Legend (with black and white screen) went swimming in Lake Superior last September, it became quite obstinate after that and died later that day.

Recently bought a Voltaic V44 power bank, at 44 watt hours I could probably go several days without recharging, but that also functions as the pass through cache battery to charge my Garmin. You say a powerbank might be simpler, that is why I bought such a large battery to use as a pass through cache battery, if it is more than 75 percent charged in the morning I might not bother to plug it in that day while rolling.

I carry the phone but it is typically in airplane mode with no background apps running. The 5.5 inch screen on the phone will be much better for planning and routing than the small GPS screen is. When I am not touring, I will go for days at a time without looking at my phone.

My taillights are AAA powered as is my headlamp (for my head in the campsite), I also need the dynohub for charging up the NiMH AAA batteries. And a charger for the Li Ion camera batteries for my waterproof point and shoot camera.

I am sold on dynohubs for charging, but other than wanting to have a GPS running, I am quite content with a minimum of electrics.

Canoeing and kayaking, I carry a marine band radio, mostly for weather band. But biking I usually just get weather forecasts when I have wifi on a phone or tablet, marine band radio stays home.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-18-19 at 01:12 PM.