View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 01:36 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I did my first 24 hour solo ride (324 miles) on a paved rail trail (East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island). I had done a double century with a buddy a few weeks earlier without issues, so I knew I had my fit and fuel nailed down, but I didn't know how my body and mind would fare with adding another 100+ miles, this time solo, and with 12 hours of total darkness (mid October in New England) so I decided to reduce the number of variables, and do a 30 mile out-and-back loop, 13 times. If for some reason I needed to bail, I wouldn't be more than 15 miles from my car. And passing my car every 30 miles, allowed me to carry minimal hydration, fuel, and clothing changes (50 degree temperature swing from day to night). After 20 hours (and 270 miles), the hardest part became convincing myself over and over to not get in the car and just go home with a good ride under my belt. When I was done, I knew I could've done more, but instead I went home with a good ride under my belt, and no regrets.