Thread: Is Daily Best?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 05:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
A few points, though I agree with the post above that everybody is different.

1. Do you really try to ride every day (weather days excepted)? A peppering of rest days, planned or unplanned, are important. I doubt anybody gets more fitness from 7 days of riding than they get from 5. Probably they get less. Recovery is part of fitness.

2. Boredom? Vary things. Don't do the same route every time. Don't ride with the same energy - give yourself easier days and harder days, whether that be speed or distance or route. If this strategy requires some tiring efforts, take the next day off.

3. There is a minimum number of days/week you should exercise to receive a real benefit. That number is something close to 4. For me the sweet spot is 5 days of riding/week and for some it could be 3, though I sort of doubt it. But it's almost certainly not 1 or 2.
In addition to the excellent advice from MinnMan, I'll add a few points on breaking up boredom. Diversify your cycling by doing the following;

One, or more, group rides a week.
One, or more, solo rides a week.
Two, or more, new routes a month.
Get a smart trainer for bad weather days
Use a smart trainer for interval training
Explore gravel or mountain biking.

Repeating the same routine will cause boredom. Explore the wide world of fitness cycling.