View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 12:09 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Did you buy the bike with a credit card?

If so your card might offer warranty features that will replace the wheel for you.

You can buy the replacement wheel and have the bike back on the road today, then get reimbursed through your credit card (call the card company to see how exactly this works and what protections you have. They may want to pre authorize the warranty before you buy the new one)

You may also buy the replacement wheel from the shop and then keep pressuring Specialized to reimburse via warranty. Specialized would send a new wheel to the shop, which they could then keep and refund your your purchase price. Though this obviously has risks since Specialized may not end up honoring it.

You can upgrade the wheels to something better. But this is 100% out of pocket. No warranty will pay you a single dollar if you are replacing with different parts.

My LBS told me that Specialized's warranty service took a wrong turn last year and were suddenly miserable to deal with.
Thanks for reply, Skipjacks.

Just got a text from LBS saying wheel should arrive later this week or early next. Actually said the 'wheelset,' so perhaps they're replacing both wheels. Only one is damaged. But just happy to know the end is near. I've actually un-parked the roadbike and resumed riding it while monitoring the cracks very closely and avoiding stressful or long rides. Also riding the hybrid to keep me in shape. Will definitely consider upgrading the wheels to then have a backup plan in case it happens again. Maybe the hybrid will wind up with some hand-me-downs.