Old 07-26-19, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just wondering, since you could see yourself averaging at least 20 on that flat of a surface.

When you come up to the area with those terrifying driveways, you can't see yourself doing something simple like applying the brakes and slowing down? So that in the unlikely event a car pulled out of the driveway while you were going by, *YOU* could stop?

And once you've passed that small cluster of terrifying hazards of a few blind driveways, and then picking up the pace again?

Think of it as interval training?

Or think of it as entering a feed zone?

Or maybe just think of riding at a speed safe for current conditions?

Instead of averaging at least 20 mph, you'd be averaging at least 19 mph instead?

-mr. bill
Or, as I think he is saying, he could move over about 10 feet and ride that speed safely on the road. That's 10 feet more from the end of the bushes so just that much more reaction time.

I don't know how unlikely that is, btw. I see cars back out like that all the time when I'm driving, and from time to time when I'm riding.

I take the position that most drivers are actually pretty good, but there is an irreducible number of really bad ones you encounter randomly. Best to assume they're possibly present at all times, and try to maximize your ability to react and avoid. Clearly, reducing speed is sometimes necessary for that, but it certainly isn't the only strategy.