Old 01-19-19, 10:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18417 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Its Big, are you tall?
If the seat is adjusted properly for the OP, then the frame is a little tall, but at least he should be able to get on it.

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I think the bike is over-priced IMHO
That does look like a basic "High Tensile steel" bike from the 80's. Also has steel rims. It does appear to be in nice shape, but is at near the upper end of the price range.

As far as 5 gears? It really is about the gearing range rather than the actual number.

Up until recently, I did all my riding on a bike with 54/42 up front and 13/23 in the rear (I think, perhaps even 13/21).

Not a tremendous amount of touring, but a bit. I remember riding around Italy. The hardest climb was near Abetone. It was about a mile of loaded climbing that day, but it just got steep near one of the peaks.

Anyway, the only way to really know is to just try it out. I seem to use up any gear that I have.

If you don't like it, then find a freewheel with a broader range on the rear, or a triple up front.

Do you know what your rear dropout spacing is? If it is set to 126mm, then you should be able to fit on a 7 speed freewheel easily enough.