View Single Post
Old 03-24-20, 10:23 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by stansb
Hey guys i have another question. Im trying to get the wheels finished now and i read quite a bit on tensioning and trueing including forums, writings from sheldon brown's website as well as "the bicycle wheel" book. Basically what everyone says is that you should evenly thread the nipples into the spokes (and by doing so you would have a relatively even tension and fairly true wheel to begin with) and from then on start with a bunch of turns from some initial tension, then dish and true and build tension gruadually in the proccess. However when i screwed on the nipples right until spoke threads are no longer visible and did those couple of turns to some initial tension i end up with this scenario on both sides: most spokes have similar tension, a few are alot tighter than the average and few are so slack they are still rattling into the rim. I couldnt get any info on this. Should i ignore this and continue on? Im thinking that slack spokes cannot be a part of trueing and overtighened spokes need to be backed of alot at a certain point. Im also thinking that there will be big spikes in tension on the finished wheel. Also, my wheel is nowhere near being true.
IME, this happens during truing because I true the nipples closest to an aberration. I squeeze the spokes and pre-bend the crossed spokes, check again for true, then start equalizing tension.
I'm not a pro, so it might not be the most efficient way to do it, but I'm pleased with my results. Equalizing tension with a meter shows me precisely where I've stacked my adjustments on the same spoke instead of spreading the adjustment out. Usually that's the case. You'll balance spoke tension with true, prioritizing even tension (per side if the wheel's dished). You're almost there!