Old 06-26-20, 05:22 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KrispyK
Thanks for the information Morelock, I wont rushing to get some tubs than.

For my road bike I followed the procedure that Josh outlined on the marginal gains podcast which involves repeatedly lowering tire pressure until the rim hits on bumps or handling gets numb and I now run 70psi front and rear. I'm assuming that that would be way to low for the track, is their a similar process for the track or just kinda guess or use the 2/3 body-weight formula I saw on here somewhere or set and forget?
I would start at 100psi and go from there. I say this because you can really get away with much lower pressure on the road, and it also has to do with your tire pressure being a large part of what locks your bead onto the rim. On a 333m track, a 30km/h-ish cruise will keep you perpendicular to the bank. You are most likely to be riding much faster, and often, quite a bit slower. Track racing puts a lot more dynamic force onto a tire than road racing does, and it does it more often. You're more likely to roll a tire on the track than on the road. I would start at 100, see if that's too hard, then drop to 90. You will notice handling issues with lower pressures sooner when on a track.

Then again, the lighter you are, the lower pressure you can get away with.