Old 08-05-12, 11:19 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
Was the .5 change in the seat tube angle? Do you know if the fork rake changed as well?
I have absolutely no idea. I've read here that the geometry changed from '85 to '89, and read a review that said it changed in '89 as well. I have nothing other than anecdotal evidence from those who have multiple models.

The first Ironman in '85 was pretty much the Comp TA with Tange 1 tubing. While I've owned and ridden a Comp TA, I haven't ridden my '85 Ironman yet. Those who have later Ironman models say the '85 and the Comp TA are smoother and a little less twitchy. Sounds like that would be due to geometry.

The more aggressive frames from Centurion in '85 were the Prestige and the Cinelli-made (Chirico) Equipe.

My '86 models were smooth as silk, and suitable for hammering. I didn't upgrade them to modern wheels, so my riding on them was less aggressive than it was with later models, and not a suitable comparison. A friend that has an '86 and an '89 says the '86 is smoother.

I found the '87 - '89 models rode about the same. I could never tell a difference in the rides, but others have posted here that the geometry changed a bit over the years. I can say that an '88 Expert and an '89 Master rode the same for me. So much depends on wheels, saddles, bars, fit, etc, that I sure can't say.

It may be angles; I don't know. That stuff confuses me, so I stay away from it.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-05-12 at 11:41 AM.