Old 10-14-17, 09:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Lycra saddles can be very comfy. Two of my bikes, including the Ironman, have Lycra fabric over foam saddles -- not just Lycra/foam add-on covers. The Ironman came from the seller with an old Terry Georgena saddle, which resembles a Selle Turbo with a shorter nose.

It's so effective I don't really need padded shorts. In fact, I get more chafing wearing padded shorts with the Lycra/foam saddles. I may try some unpadded tri shorts for the Ironman bike. And I just wear wicking fabric boxer/briefs under my baggy shorts on the hybrid with Lycra/foam saddle.

But it's not a perfect solution. The Lycra/foam saddles get soggy with sweat -- exactly like padded shorts would. And unlike shorts you can't toss 'em in the washer. So I use fabric cleaner/freshener once in awhile on the saddles.

And if you get caught in the rain on a Lycra/foam saddle, it's like sitting in a puddle.

But for mostly dry climates, yup, the Lycra/foam saddles are very comfy. And most seem to be inexpensive enough to replace every year or so. Although Serfas is among the very few suppliers of Lycra/foam saddles, and most are of the heavily padded comfort variety.