Thread: Pub 51
View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 01:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Hey - i'm going to use this empty Pub as a staging 'post' for a future C&V thread. About fork curvature on steel forks. Pull together a few pics, see if it makes sense tomorrow. Please don't spill your beer on my notes.
Comments welcome. i may edit this post more than a couple of times.

The purpose of the post is to help me understand the handling characteristics of a particular bike. An early 70s Zeus brazed in Erbil, Spain - deep in the Basque region. Look at attached pics and tell me if you think this fork curvature is different from most on a (vintage lightweight) sport/racing bike. And would it yield a more 'touring' feel in the front end steering? Or is it just a French (+Basque) design? Would the unknown (to me) fork material be responsible for perceived ride(main tubes are 531)? Or should I just ride a wider range of bicycles and not obsess over any outliers.
Zeus

And here is a fork bend, also from the early 70s, that may deliver a different feel than the Zeus.

Hmmmnn... maybe the 2 pics below show the difference between fork bends better.

And below is my early 70s French touring frame, tho a slightly larger size. The Follis has a bend more like the Bottechia in my estimation.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-01-18 at 05:48 PM.