View Single Post
Old 11-15-18, 05:58 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, since places like Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley were settled in like 1908, well before electricity and A/C, they musta had to bring in new people constantly to replace all the dead ones which dessicated corpses coulda prob'ly been been stacked like cordwood out back.

Hottest I've ever slept out was 110 F on the floor of a friend's back porch in Phoenix in June ten years back. I slept out there with my two blue heelers to be sure they weren't suffering too much. I still sleep on the floor by habit so as to not lose the ability so I'm pretty sure I could still do that. And then there was that whole three years in a remote village in Ghana thing, and 102 in my house last summer Plus the four and five gallons of water a day while crossing out of Texas and traversing Arkansas in the second half of June of '14..

I appreciate all the advice, and I do understand the inherent hazards, but on the bright side it seems crossing Death Valley can be done in a series of 30 to 40 mile hops, which could be done in the early hours of the morning. I would anticipate the REAL hardship would be staying outside in the afternoon versus wussing out and staying in a hotel.

Also, while this ride, or attempt to ride is gonna happen 2019 or 2020, I'd have to ride a long way of hot and dry just to get there, so I might not even make it that far. It ain't like I'm getting any younger.