Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 05-29-19, 07:45 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Getting my hands dirty in the basement today, as I had a little home-alone time.

I couldn't get the brake pads not to rub on the wide tires on the M500, so I swapped 'em with the 1 1/4" tires from my wife's trek. All good now, and I plan to give that one a test ride this week, even though its mission has pretty much evaporated. I was building it as a weight-loss bike, for when I was well over 350 lbs. 250 now, and comfortable enough with riding my other bikes now. Still, I built it, and I'm gonna ride it some. Probably use it for the downtown casual rides.

Also, new brake pads.

Jake is my project now, and a little more involved, but still not too bad. I took good care of this bike over the nearly 40,000 miles we have together.

The st5500 105 brifters are gummed up. I'll give 'em a flush this weekend to see if that works, but that's only out of curiosity, as I've ordered a set of Dura Ace bar-ends, which will go on once they arrive. Also ordered some Tektro levers. I'll replace the hideous cow-pattern bar tape then, too.

The rear wheel is in great shape, built by one of the Erics at Chainwheel in Little Rock. Front rim was a bit worn, so I swapped it with my LHT's stock front (that bike has a Clyde wheelset right now), which looks close enough to matching that most won't even notice.

For the time being, I have a set of 35c Panaracer Paselas on Jake.

Brake pads on this bike, too, but I'll probably upgrade them with Kool Stops once he's otherwise dialed in.

Really looking forward to getting back on Jake.