View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 08:47 AM
ManInBlack

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1985 Ross Hi-Tech Mt. Hood

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, @velojym, WAY TO GO man! Your story is so inspiring.
I started reading and there's just too many similarities between us: 48, I'm weighing 347 right now, down from a max 2 years ago of 393. Both of us in Alabama, both of us with Surly LHT's, both in IT jobs (just started one last July that has me working from home).
My LHT is one of three bikes in the basement, and the only one close to rideable right now. Just bought new tires and tubes and working on freshening it up to get out and ride. I bought it when I dropped below 350 on my last 100lb loss diet when I was about to turn 40. I did lose down to 283 then, but ballooned right back up by the time I was 42. Hard times at my prior job plus travel, expense account meals, and a lot of sitting...
I've got a Concept2 rower downstairs, a whole set of Rogue weights, a full set of kettlebells and a shelf full of books by Dan John, Pavel Tsatsouline, and Mark Rippetoe, along with Dr. Michael Mosley's "The Fast Diet" and "The Clever Guts Diet."
I've got all the info anyone could ever need, plus motivational stories from guys like you and others on this forum. Analysis paralysis. I've got a very supportive, 105lb wife and 16-year-old, 175lb muscular football player son who loves Crossfit and has the best diet of anyone around me (fruit, veggies, hates pizza, hates fried food, avoids all kinds of soda/tea/coffee).
Gotta get the saddle replaced and the wheels back on the bike. Even have the neighborhood we moved to 2 years ago, that is "perfect" for bicycling, just waiting for me.
Thanks for the additional motivation. I gotta get below 300, and wow would I love to be 250 again. Haven't been there since *I* was 16. Have been planning/thinking about a big goal for hitting 50. I didn't think I'd live past 40. Now I want to get healthy again and stay that way!

Thanks again and "good on ya!"
John