Old 11-03-23, 07:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,520 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I grew up in Connecticut and have lived in several other states and am an obsessive reader, and I've never come across that saying before, and had no idea what it's meant to convey until I looked it up a minute ago.

Turns out you might have to be a football fan to get it. (I've ignored all sports other than bike racing all my life, so I'm an outlier, I admit.)

Not sure what the significance of the quote is in the context of this thread. "Act like," etc., takes for granted that we're all worried about how we're perceived by others but says that we should pretend that we aren't. Just another variety of narcissism.

The original quote:

Penn State's Joe Paterno said "when you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before."
It's common in most of the sports, at least the ones I've participated in.(And I've participated in a lot of different sports) It's about keeping concentration and focus as much as drawing attention to one's self. Since you were not familiar with the Joe Paterno quote, are you familiar with Teddy Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" quote? I'm getting to show some good, inspirational quotes today.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7-i...ts-not-the-man

Last edited by seypat; 11-03-23 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For seypat: