Thread: Handlebar Tape
View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 10:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Girly? What exactly qualifies something that has no gender as gendered? Also why does a gender binary matter in any case? Gender is a silly construct to make people different for no real reason. People are people and they should be who they want to be and not be forced into silly binaries for no reason.

Again remembering that bartape does not have a gender and also that gender really doesn't matter.
Bar tape has no gender, but it would be silly and obtuse to pretend or claim some colors aren't socially associated with one gender or the other.

As for gender being a silly construct...there is simply no reason to bring this into a discussion on the color of bar tape.
But since you did...gender, while popularly called a social construct right now, is simply biological gender. Mammals being Male or female in gender.
The social construct is actually the expectations and norms certain societies place on genders. And sure, the expectations societies place on gender are fluid and ever changing, so I could see someone viewing said expectations as silly.

Gender expectations = silly
Gender = biology

But I get that all I said isn't in line with currently popular gender theory.
Likes For mstateglfr: