View Single Post
Old 05-26-14, 05:16 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by acassis
like many consumer items, i would suspect there is a good time of year to buy a bike, like when the new models come out, the old models are easily had for much cheaper. does this apply and if so, when is it? i currently do not have a bike, and although i am itching to buy one, i could hold off if its worth the wait.
In terms of selection, now is a good time.

In terms of price, now is the worst time. In November, when the sales and repair staff are bored, and the desparate shop owners are thinking that they may not have enough money to buy inventory for next season - that is the best time to strike a deal.

Worst time for service: likely last Saturday. Soccer moms lined out the door willing to wait 3 weeks and drop big dollars to get a 5 minute derailleur adjustment. Best time: November: shops will treat you like a lost cousin and provide roll-in, roll-out service.

Just like a ski resort: on the weekdays, the staff are friendly, no waits, lower prices. On weekends, staff call in sick, and those remaining are stressed and surly. You wait for everything, and pay more.