Old 06-11-19, 03:47 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I run pressures in the low 90's and have tried pressures as low as 80 (all in 23mm which is what I usually ride). 80 s a bit better although it isn't night and day. And FWIW, for a couple years until late last year I was riding 25mm Gatorskins (which all of a sudden would no longer fit inside my fork).

While everything in this thread is interesting and useful, the real question in my mind is "is there something better than what I am riding now that would work on my existing bike WRT chipseal". An answer to that specific question is actually useful to me whether or not the resulting ride is 'comfortable' on chipseal. Since chipseal is only a small'ish portion of my riding it is a trade-off and there is a bigger trade-off (possible bike change) where this answer is useful (even if it is negative). So before I head off into new bike land (a place that I am not anxious to go) I would like to know how much of this problem I can (or cannot) solve on my existing bike.

Thanks.

dave

ps. The actual width on my 23mm 4000s ii's is 25.5mm.
There ARE better option tires out there for what you're after. I'm told Specialized Turbo Cottons are quite good, and Compass tires are exceeding supple/soft as well.

Though personally, I would play around with tire pressure a bit more. I'd try going another 10 lbs lower and see if it's better. I doubt that would be underinflated at 160 lbs.
Likes For Abe_Froman: