Old 03-09-18, 09:42 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I also would go out hard on that one. 10 mph wind on an uphill grade for me would make that split almost 50% longer than the downhill tailwind split. YMMV, this is where thinking about it in advance and knowing where you are in training now, what kind of effort you can hold and for how long, will really help.

So say for you it would be around 18-19 min going out, you’ll be looking at 13-14 min coming back, maybe as little as 12 min if the wind is building and temps are warming (as they usually are).

Knowing those likely split times, I’d figure out stuff like: if I went out at 106% for 18 min, could I manage 103% coming back? Etc. Then I’d develop a game plan based on my assessment of how long I could do X effort after already doing Y effort based on where I am in training now, whether I’m coming into a period of mightiness or struggling, and knowing I’ll get a performance boost from it being race day.

When actually racing, this game plan is only one element of what I’ll tap into as things unfold. Sometimes I feel great and attempt to exceed the plan and I do. Sometimes I’m out there and realize my plan was optimistic or wrong and I make up a new one on the fly.

I have had some interesting conversations with very good TTers and have been amazed at how different people’s approaches are. Some people barely think about it in advance and do fine, some people like me make more of a plan and then see how it goes. Half of what I like about TTing is testing what I thought would work that day to be fast, it’s really interesting to me.