Old 10-30-18, 12:24 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Ugh... not this again. The "I got hurt, therefore it must happen to everyone regardless of what actual studies say" argument doesn't fly.
This is exactly what I said -

From the "whatever I say won't hurt me" group you get loudly pushing all kinds of over the top positive claims about lifting and health benefits. When you get injured and talk about it they get very angry and attack you.

From the "if I get someone else hurt it will be bad for me" group you get basically the opposite advice - a lot more isolation lifts for training athletes, a lot more "we tried squats and deadlifts but the injury rate was to high so we do something different now", and even from coaches that train people to powerlift and compete you hear a long list of boring things they do like not going above 85%-90% of your max in training, spending the first year at smaller weights to get the body used to doing it, and that there definitely are people who because of their genetics or physical condition should never be lifting heavy weights with compound lifts because their body just cannot handle it.