Old 05-12-20, 08:45 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
funny you should ask. I've retired it after having a couple of issues with cabling. We (prior to COVID...) used to fly with the bikes to our destination. Removing the wheel (2" tires) would squeeze the connector. Have had to do surgery in airport lobbies twice. Then crushed the USB connector when reinstalling the handlebars.

Other than that, absolutely fantastic piece of equipment. AFAIK no contest in terms of watts you'll get out of your dynohub. May not be robust enough to tolerate frequent disassemblies. I've "pivoted" to the battery bank strategy and minimal energy consumption. But may well reinstall the Forumslader this summer-where-we-can't-ride-far-anyway.
I reckon the way to go is to upgrade the batteries to much bigger ones and have it portable so you can use it as a battery bank with the USB charger. I installed mine with some 18650 batteries into a piece of PVC pipe about the side of a bike pump and mount it on the down tube using SKS pump clips. I got some screw connectors from ebay for the input connection. So I can run it on the bike, then take it into the tent at night, plus charge it from an AC outlet as well as a replacement for a battery bank. At some stage I might upgrade to 26650 batteries for more capacity since I sometime run a phone and a wireless hotspot on tour.
Likes For Trevtassie: