Old 05-22-20, 01:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Assuming the math works out to be equal, almost, would you rather use 20mm of spacers with a -6deg stem or flip the stem and slam it to the head tube (no or 5mm spacer) with +6deg stem? I think the stem in the negative direction would make the stem look almost level but raised off the head tube. Whereas the positive direction would give you the slammed look but would give a rising stem look. So, which way? BTW which way is the "correct" way to install a stem. Negative or positive direction?
I have 20mm of spacers and an 11cm -6 stem angled down (so the combination of the -6 and the 73 HT angle results in a mild stem angle of +11). I could probably achieve similar bar height by ditching the spacers and flipping the stem, but it would look goofy IMO. There's no "correct" way to install a treadless stem - indeed, many have the decals printed in both orientations - it comes down to personal preference and how best to finally position the bars. I'd rather a few spacers than a sharply up-angled stem.

Last edited by Litespud; 05-22-20 at 01:27 PM.