Old 05-29-20, 10:05 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
I have a knog oi mounted on my stem. It looks nice and sounds good but isnt very loud. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I'm really curious on how the bag is mounted in both pictures. Is it just a second stem put in place of spacers? Thanks
The handlebar bag or the small round nylon pouch?

The handlebar bag is on a "dummy bar". You are correct - there is a second stem there that the "dummy bar" is attached to. Nothing fancy.

The caveat to this set up is that the steer tube was intentionally left very long when I bought the bike. Then lots of spacers were added to make up the difference. That was specifically done for having the room to do that 2nd stem/dummy bar addition, however I also gained a lot of adjustability for the main handlebars also that I found earlier in my distance riding that I was able to tweak.

Bike shops usually want to adjust the bars to your "fit" then cut off the rest and cap it, maybe put a spacer or two on the top, and call it good. When they do that you have no room to play with things later - no metal left on the steer tube to use. So the only way to get the metal is to think ahead and not let the bike shop cut off the steer tube any shorter. Or, build your own bike.

The dummy bar is 1" PVC painted black. The bar bag is an Ortleib Ultimate 6 Plus with the regular mount that uses the cable lock system.

If you can fit it, I highly recommend the 2nd stem and dummy bar. It gives me a ton more freedom on the handlebar for my hands. The only thing on the bar now is my bike computer. If you notice in the 2nd picture on the ground is an adjustable wrench and a U-bolt RAM mount. That RAM mount was where the bell is and is what I normally mount my phone with - in an X-grip holder with a few wraps of string around it so the phone doesn't bounce out. I'll probably put it on the other side. For now I just toss the phone in the bag.

The small black nylon pouch is a large can of pepper spray in a belt holster. The holster is zip tied on to the steer tube over top the spacers.