View Single Post
Old 07-08-20, 12:39 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I meant to make my comment on this bike here but I accidentally put it in the "what are you wrenching on" thread.

Have you ridden a tandem? I find it quite hard. I was hoping it would improve my spouse's stamina but it didn't. However, it reduced mine, so we are more closely matched but not in the way I had hoped. Maybe one day I will get the hang of it. First there is the mental drain from the responsibility of keeping it upright. Also, because of the lower power-to-weight ratio, I am constantly rowing through the gears. Second, I have to work with my arms and shoulders. I'll be doing some upper body strengthening, so that may help.
We haven't, that's why I will just make it rideable first before investing much more money in it. We are still riding a lot on our own and when my girlfriend can go back to the office again after September she will probably be riding her bike 160km a week to work so chances are her stamina will be better than mine shortly.
But I do look forward to the experience, should be interesting. Worst case scenario I swap the original rear wheel in again and sell it to someone else. With what I paid for it I might even make a small profit.