Old 07-11-20, 01:17 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Soup_Please ,
Thanks for that great review! MAP had been on my “Dream Bikes” list until hearing about his devastating loss from the fire. Interestingly, a L’Avecaise is also still on that list. I’d be interested to hear more about that comparison (just read that review, also your Coho review) as well as the Alex Singer and Tournesol. I’m also a tall, skinny, not powerful rider, so your comments hit home, especially “...goes up hill, like a giant lightweight spring in sync with my body”. Love that feel on the Marinoni SLX, but I’d be fascinated to get a sense of how much better it can be with a more modern tubeset. I’m also significantly older, even less powerful, haven’t dared try L’Eroica and unlikely to become a true randonneur. But I have followed Matt Pendergast on a dirt road. Pretty sure he was holding back so I could keep up.

Your 61cm frame with 650B’s is interesting, since I ride big 62-63cm frames, but my 650B conversion is limited to 38’s, and that bike is more medium-ish trail. I’ve also got a big Waxwing bag on my other, not-650B-able bike with Gugificazione low trail modded fork, front racks, etc. Great bags! Is your self-made aluminum stiffener more than an upper frame? How is the handling with front panniers? Any experience with them in significant winds?

And many of the roads In Oregon you mention are familiar! The Banks-Vernonia Trail was a favorite, explored with OR buddies on a group ride several years ago. Haven’t done the Covered Bridges Trail yet, but will certainly do so eventually since my son’s in-laws are finishing their house right next to it.

Last edited by Dfrost; 07-11-20 at 02:17 PM.