View Single Post
Old 04-08-13, 03:29 AM
ACyclingRooster

Bikes: a Fully restored 52cm Italian build Benotto Modelo 850.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ralph12
Hi, I'm Ralph. I used to post here years ago.

I got hit by a car some years back. After the initial impacts plus some ill-advised surgical procedures that caused a lot of permanent sequelae, I'm here with a lot of broken nerves, damaged tissues, and many weak spots in my left leg. I have constant knee pain and can't feel most of my foot, so keeping my foot on a regular platform pedal has become pretty difficult (it falls off). I'll probably make the switch to clipless soon.

I haven't cycled in a long time, mostly due to this injury, but I plan on getting back into it.

Hi Ralph. I know exactly where you are coming from,I myself have been in very similar situations in the past.
Might I suggest to you that you do not go clip-less but seek-out and use the older style pedals and toe-clips with straps. These can be used with a smooth plain sole or can have a grooved shoe-plate fastened on so as to engage with the pedal.
I ride Marcel Berthet Lyotard Platform Pedals with Christophe Toe-clips and Leather Straps these are coupled with Traditional Vittoria Leather Cycling Shoes with Aluminium sole plates.
The older style of securing your feet will if necessary permit easy withdrawal of your feet and especially if your have impaired feel in one or more of your feet.
The clip-less can be difficult to engage and even more difficult to release from unless very fine tuning of the mechanisms is carried out

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
280920121143.jpg (101.5 KB, 179 views)