View Single Post
Old 04-08-13, 10:09 AM
dadse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello, I'm bob - age 67. I've been a touring cyclist for more than forty-five years - but stopped when (pretty much all at once) my vision deteriorated (diabetic retinopathy), I had a heart attack, I entered end-stage kidney disease (now in dialysis), and suffered nerve/muscle damage from cancer surgery. despite these life factors I am still walking (well, anyway I'm ambulatory) and talking - and wish to resume cycling. I don't envision any more 'centuries', and I imagine the joys of weeks-long cycle-touring are lost to me (at least, outside the US) but I've hit on the idea of a folding (e.g., step-through) 'commuter bike and plan to start up again with short, low-geared, 'spins' around the block (maybe up to circle-the-community rides) we'll see how it goes. I've read posts on these forums concerning 'building up' (esp. for older riders). I am leery of 'mashing' with heart issues. but 'spinning' seems doable for me. I never went very fast - I'd climb in a granny gear and move only fast enough to remain upright to the top; a century would take me all day (with sightseeing and leisurely meal stops). I don't know how much to expect of myself now, but I'm looking forward to the ride.