View Single Post
Old 10-05-18, 05:56 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
How can a Yank movie on illegal car racing on the public road be equated with a bicycling event? This is supposed to be a LCF section, not one to begrungely mention an illegal car racing film as a comparison.
The way the Cannonball Run movie was presented in popular culture was as a fun-loving race at a time when the police/government were treated like killjoys relative to the popular culture. So it's funny to me that Cannonball Run was about an illegal race and Smokey and the Bandit was about smuggling alcohol, but they were both car movies about people ignoring speed limits and laws to go as fast as possible from A to B. Anyway, I know it might seem strange to compare that to bicycle racing, but I think the kind of racing Machka is talking about through a city is very similar to the way the Cannonball Run race went from coast to coast in cars. Yes, the scale with the Cannonball Run was/is bigger and the vehicles are faster and motorized, but the idea seems to be the same otherwise. Of course, I might be misunderstanding the bike race from the description here, but that was just my impression.

I was sort of thinking that if these alleycat races provide people with the same kind of excitement as a Cannonball Run race, they are actually better because they are done on bikes. That was the only reason I posted the comparison.