View Single Post
Old 12-22-18, 03:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, what Machka said is a great summary of where and how it all happens for us these days,

The supermarket delivery was something that we had discussed lightly before the workplace accident put me out of action, and Machka's turn-up at the hospital every day for weeks meant she could investigate, try and really like the on-line ordering and delivery system. I was part of the initial discussion because it still required stopping off late afternoon or evening and double or triple handling the stuff in the supermarket, then loading and unloading of the car (or in the old car-free days for me, the bicycle).

The service is not significantly expensive -- frankly about the same these days as we would pay for fuel to visit and get back from the supermarket (again, the smaller shop nearby is in walking distance).

My current fatigue situation means still that I would much prefer riding a bike, or being out in the garden doing stuff, than having to spend about an hour walking around a supermarket.

The guys who do the delivery are friendly and polite and helpful, and have the paperwork that has to be signed on delivery. It takes less than 30 minutes to do the unpacking and cupboard and fridge/freezer work that is needed (yep, the stuff remains in a freezer on the truck if that is needed). We can also hand back the plastic shopping bags the stuff is delivered in and get a small credit because they are recirculated.

On the whole, it is an excellent experience for us here in Australia.