View Single Post
Old 02-11-19, 10:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah, "just use a taxi" is a valid response to an occasional, non-critical emergency (like you have to get there, but don't need an ambulance). It's not a cost-effective solution for long-term, continuing medical needs, or even for short-term-but-frequent needs. I have been fortunate in that I've not been so injured that I couldn't ride. I also have a bus option, provided I can walk the first and last block. Not a responsible option, though, when I have a potentially infectious disease.

And I've also noticed a complete lack of bike support at any of my medical destinations. I've had two doctors' offices in recent memory where I had to find signs (usually the handicap-parking sign) to lock up to, and I had a recent, overnight stay at the hospital where I had to get creative to lock up in the parking garage. Sure, a lot of people going to these places are not in good shape to bike, walk, etc., but plenty are. It's ironic that I go for a physical where a doctor encourages me to be more physically active while working out of an office building that does nothing to encourage people arriving by anything but a car.