View Single Post
Old 02-13-20, 10:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,104 Times in 3,835 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
Unfortunately, I don't have mine anymore. I was short on storage space at the time and I regrettably got rid of that frameset (and a very nice Koga Miyata Terra Liner Carbon!!).

Mine was a 1974 champagne colored frameset, and I found the old text for my for sale ad, where I noted that mine took a 26.6 seatpost:

From what I've read, these were Nishiki's top end frames and they were handmade at a separate factory/location. They were trying to make a Japanese frame that would rival hand-built british or italian racing frames. Tubing is marked as "Cro-Mo 0.8-0.5-0.8 double butted", but from reading it sounds like it may use Tange Champion 1 double butted tubes, with suntour fork ends and vertical suntour dropouts. Some nice filing / cutouts / details in the lugs, fork crown, brake bridge, and bottom bracket shell. ... Takes a 26.6 seatpost and a standard bottom bracket (there was a bottom bracket in there when I got it, so the threads are good).

I have some other Nishiki ONP info saved from that time, a 1978 ad and magazine review of one. The ad had frame measurements and a note that stated:

* Please install the seat pillar of 27.0 or 26.8 (620mm or 640mm)

So maybe the seatpost size or tubing widths changed depending on the year or frame size?

This is very awesome historical info for my frame!!! Thank you