Old 04-05-18, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
I like my touring bike for all 3. In my family we have 4 touring bikes; a Bruce Gordon, a Co-motion, a 1990 Trek 520, and a Surly LHT. They all work good. If you think a touring bike would work for you, then there are lots of good reviews on the web. For instance I did a google search using "touring bicycles" as the search term and came us with this review: https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-touring-bikes-list/

Others may chime in that the new breed of "adventure" or "gravel" bikes, or cyclocross bikes would work best. And maybe they do for some people. I just find that being able to mount racks and fenders is useful, and lots of "race" inspired bikes don't have braze-ons to do this. Good luck making a decision as there a lot of bikes to chose from. Also, depends on you budget.
I like your family! I want a Bruce Gordon in my family to go along with my Co-Motion granted my family is just me and several bikes but Bruce would always be welcome.

@OP
Touring bikes can make excellent all-round bikes and if you aren't looking for speed and weight isn't a huge factor (or you are willing to spend a little cash to help cut down the weight) you can really make out well. If I absolutely had to go down to one bike, I would probably continue beating my head till it cracked open and then let zombies feast on the insides because I don't want one bike...But my Co-Motion Cascadia aka the Wagon Queen Family Truckster would be a top contender. It is a joy to ride, can handle just about any load and feels great. I have ridden it touring, commuting and even longer road rides. Plus it is about 3-4 pounds lighter than my old Surly Disc Trucker which is kind of nice.