View Single Post
Old 08-29-18, 10:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
What Colnago do you have? Also curious about your DeRosas as well? As a bike nerd and an Italian bike lover I always love seeing what people got.

The SE bikes are low end bikes that sometimes say different things that aren't Landing Gear and PK Ripper (or whatever other Ripper name they need) the custom stuff is just some sticker or paint work not anything really custom or uniquely designed. It is like a t-shirt company printing a different t-shirt than normal. Sure they may only print 100 of those t-shirts but all in all it is not different from the thousands of other t-shirts they normally print. Of course this is not to say Colnago hasn't maybe done a few things like that but there is a difference between a handpainted jobber and mass produced in smaller quantities. Colnago has been working with Ferrari not so much for badges and logos but for design and improvements just like Specialized and their work with McLaren. Colnago has been working with Ferrari for a long time and their first major project was certainly super techy.

I wonder what a company like say DC Shoes actually contributed to the design aside from allowing ASI to use their logos.

I won't deny Colnago does have some hype and maybe a little mythicalness surrounding them but when you are ridden by greats like Johan Museeuw and Eddy Merckx and your owner was a mechanic for Eddy and still runs the company and helped bring carbon into the pro peloton along with a lot of other cool innovation it makes sense. Sure maybe some of their newer stuff is not as cool as the earlier stuff but I think they truly have earned a good reputation and kept it. It is not like they were putting various celebrities and companies names on their bikes just to stay relevant.