Old 12-02-20, 04:11 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Seems like theres a 5 post limit per 24 hours for newbies lol.

Originally Posted by Thomas15
Lets give the seller a name...Gus.

Gus buys a bunch of inventory from a bicycle shop that is going out of business. Problem is Gus doesn't know anything about bicycles so instead of looking at the paperwork to see how much the bike shop paid for the inventory, he sells them without any idea of the true value for $10-$50 buyer is in the dark. Instead of joining Bike Forums and asking the question, Gus simply sells them for a few bux.

I personally think the OP should buy everything Gus has to sell, take out a loan if necessary. There is gold in them hills!
They are going for 10-50 USD right now but they are up for auction so they can go for much higher. Given they have been for auction for a few days now and some have stayed at 10USD I thought it might be a good opportunity to get 1 or 2 of the 10USD ones since they would for sure sell for much higher than 10 bucks even if I listed them as used. He put them up for auction which to me goes in the direction of him having no expertise and letting the market determine a price for him instead of letting it eat up warehouse space.

Originally Posted by twowheeldesign
If its from a buy/sell shop, that should give a little more piece of mind I think, but regardless of what happens, OP if you pull the trigger on a box (or more) - keep us updated, I am curious!
They are a buy and sell shop. From their history I would say mostly auto parts. They seem to have the expertise for that even offering installs for some models parts for a separate fee. This is the first time I see them list a bicycle though which is what makes me think they dont have expertise.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So why can’t he now open up the boxes to see what’s inside? Seems like a smart business person would do that to make sure he isn’t cheating himself.

This makes no sense to me.
Originally Posted by Koyote
Maybe you mentioned this and I missed it: have you simply asked if you can open the boxes?
I would open them if I were him. If I had to guess, maybe he opened 1 or two to identify the type and didn't bother with the rest since he doesn't know how to assemble or maintain them. 2nd hand market in Japan is picky about all original, could be he thinks amateurish assembly would lessen the value? Could be as simple as not expecting much profit from them given the age and likelihood they are entry level bikes that he feels its a hassle to assemble them all. He did mention there were like 30 odd boxes per bike type. Again though I have no idea. I tried to ask him if he could open a specific box for me to verify but he was adamant that he didn't have the expertise and that they were at the warehouse.