Old 10-16-14, 01:56 PM
sch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Aero wheels won't do you much good unless you regularly ride above 20mph, and don't really kick in til 25-28mph. So unless you can ride in the 20+ mph average speed
range for a 30-50 mile ride aero only benefits the shop that sold it. My final ultimate upgrade for my 15yr old Lightspeed vortex frame was an Ultegra DI2 10speed kit for
$1100 from Probikekit. They now have the 11spd version with chainset for $1350. Bike doesn't go any faster but the electric shift makes a compact tolerable and I can
climb hills upto a mile or so and 7-8% grade. Any rides with steeper or longer hills I do on the vintage bike with triple. I did have a pair of 1450 gram non-aero wheels
I bought from Nashbar 6-7 yrs ago that I mounted on the bike, but it still weighs 20# with my usual load in the underseat bag and pump mounted but no water bottles.
Wheels are no longer cheap unless very basic, any bling adds hundreds to thousands to the wheel price.

A friend recently bought an Ultegra 11spd compact group set and raves about the brakes, which appear to be a significant design change from previous brakesets.

Last edited by sch; 10-16-14 at 02:01 PM.