Old 10-18-14, 08:15 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to break the trend here and suggest 'buy a new bike'.

You've already said…… '….I would like to upgrade at some point if for nothing else but to keep me motivated."

Don't underestimate the need to stay motivated. There are plenty of bikes hanging from garage walls being unused just as there are plenty of gym subscriptions laying around gathering dust. If investing financially into your hobby helps seal the deal and keep you motivated, then do it.

Also, I'm reading a lot on this thread about not needing to go faster, not worrying about a pound saved here and there…. that's all true and sensible, but if we all followed what's sensible as the primary driving force then the 50+ forum would be full of people riding upright fitness bikes with wide tires, straight bars, two sets of brake levers, rear-view mirrors, extra fittings for an IV and so forth. We'd be wearing baggy shorts, a motocross style helmet and NFL style padding. Oh and forget clip-in pedals.

So obviously we all (even at our age) retain an eye on fashion/style, what's trendy, what performs, what might help us go a little faster etc. In fact as we get older the desire to keep pace with the younger generation, both in terms of measured performance and the way in which we achieve that performance (style/trends) should not be played down. It's a useful and legitimate driving force the outcome of which is beneficial to us in many ways - it can help keep us old folks young at heart, if not in body.

So it comes down to investing in what you have versus buying new. I'm no expert as everyone knows, but I recommend that you buy new. But pick something up that's a heavily discounted 2013/4 model or whatever the deal is.

Behind my reasoning is the fact that the manufacturers pay a fraction of what you and I pay for the parts. Where a high-end groupset might cost you $1000 or more, the manufacturers cost is probably 20-25% of that, given their buying power.

So if you buy a new bike that's on sale, you're probably getting the frame thrown in for free, and then some.

Since you like the feel and geometry of your existing ride, do your homework and find a bike with similar numbers. I think it's great that most of the big players show you the frame layout and dimensions, so it should be easy to find a new bike that fits the way your old one does.

Keep your old bike for a project bike. I plan to do that with a 29er I have. I'm watching craigslist for parts and plan to slowly rebuild it at a low investment. It will help me learn about the mechanical side of things and will end up saving me money on LBS labor in the long run.

Anyway, given what you've said I'd be all over a new bike in a heartbeat, but maybe that's just me.