View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 08:11 AM
Scott P

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year was my fifth MS150. I decided this ear to ride with my team rather than tackle it solo. We are not pro cyclists, so we aren't fast. My training was limited to a couple outdoor rides and a few weeks on the recently acquired Peloton. I did better than I thought I dropped my team on hills and slowed down afterwards to get them caught up. We were slow at 15.5 ave on day one with the headwinds, heat and hills. Rest stops were long as everyone got back together. The cold beer at the finish felt great. The folks at our offsite overnight location crushed it as usual. Fajitas for dinner, eggs, bacon and pancakes for breakfast were wonderful. I'll take a twin bunk bed in a lodge over a crowded tent any day.

Day two was shorter since we started 10 miles down the express route. The Bastrop Hill gets easier every year. The sneaky MF'r was that hill after lunch. My Garmin reported a 9.8% grade on that thing. Having a Marathon Foto guy near the top to snap a picture of our ugly climb faces was the icing on the cake. It did get the best picture of the ride though. Our pace that day was a better 16.5 mph. Again, I feel I could have done better alone, but I wanted to ride together. I liked the tighter, more compact grounds at COTA and having parking right there for support vehicles with luggage and more beer was better. The parking shuttles actually moved pretty quickly, but we were lucky enough to be in the open trailer one. Getting out of the parking lot took longer than I felt it should though. It was mostly a function of volume and getting out at a peak time. It was still much better than last year's fiasco.

No injuries, flats or breakdowns, and that is always good to report.