Old 05-06-19, 02:09 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
I heard before last year's ride the MS was forced to move because of the construction. I hope once it's complete they will find a way to move the end of the ride back to DT. If there's going to be that huge grassy mall area, why not have tents and whatnot set up there and riders will finish along one of the adjacent streets towards the capital building? I dunno. There's something not quite as fulfilling riding to COTA. There was a certain majesty about coming to the city, and finishing in sight of the capital and among the buildings of downtown.
Either way, I'm still sad I missed this year and am looking forward to being back again next year for #5 .
I really would not hold my breath on this one. There were/are political forces at work as well. For a while there were a LOT of events downtown. The capitol renovations / expansion were a good reason to move many of them out of downtown. A major force in keeping the ride downtown was governor Rick Perry. He was a big fan of the MS150 and a big reason we were able to finish downtown. When he left, the folks who do not want us down there had a bigger voice.

There is also the safety issue. As I mentioned above, the road the MS150 used to get to Austin is no loner a sleepy little country road.