Old 07-15-19, 11:00 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
As promised I returned for some more today, I caught the 0600 ferry to Vineyard Haven and mixed it up a bit. Instead or going counter clockwise I went clockwise around the island and spent more time on inner roads. 74 miles in all.
Sunny day on the vineyard, life couldn’t get any better. Until the drive home.....

edit: added Strava link

https://strava.app.link/4x3LJ4IslY
Nice! Beautiful weather, both days.

Got out there on Saturday with my wife, it was a good practice trip before the next one (CCRT to the beach with kiddo on tandem). A number of points for future reference:
- Parking in one of the Shining Sea lots is a great way to do it in order to avoid the shuttle & crowds. Get off the ferry and just go. Saw probably about 10 other people do the same thing.
- You get a ticket to/from the island - doesn't matter which port (VH or OB), although the former has a prettier marina and the latter is a prettier town)
- The ferry line could be either a complete circus or a well-run operation, depends on the person running the show at the gate. Wish in this day and age with the number of cyclists taking those ferries they would have a better way of storing bikes rather than just leaning them onto one another in a giant pile.
- The east side coastal route (via Beach Rd.) is excellent. The state forest is nice but a bit monotonous. I would argue that the rolling hills and farms you get to experience riding west on North/Middle roads (biking on the roads though) are more interesting.
- Beach Rd. between OB and VH is very scenic too
- DO stop at the Edgartown Harbor Light, it's an awesome area and the beach there is great with very gentle waves. In fact, probably my favorite spot from this trip
- Riding in town is nowhere near as pleasant as on the trails - bad pavement, no shoulder
- Bike racks, which are mostly of the high-school vertical bar type, are plentiful but also full of bikes in various state of decay and can be a challenge, especially if you're attempting to lock two bikes at once with a Ulock that's too short (need to brush up on my locking game)
- Unlike me, don't forget to take a picture of your bike near a beach!

Last edited by autonomy; 07-17-19 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For autonomy: