Old 08-01-19, 01:41 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Tim - I think it is. I took a demo Pinarello e-bike out for the day last weekend when their truck was in town. After about 3 hours and almost 50 miles of riding, I'm legitimately giving it a thought. No, not a Pinarello e-bike (waaay out of budget) but one in general.

I don't use Strava, I don't race, I haven't ridden with a bike computer or power meter in 3 years. But I do enjoy an occasional group ride and I'd love to be just a little less sweaty on my AM commute. One of the guys I use to ride with regularly (retired guy) rides about 25-30/hrs per week, has incredible fitness and would indulge me on my demo ride. Because we don't ride much anymore as even his slow tempo had me struggling on most days. On the same e-bike, I kept his pace for 20+ miles, and he was at his limit. I was still cooked, he got a great workout and we rode together for the first time in almost a year. It was a blast. The 'boost' bridged the gap between my 16 avg MPH and his 20+ MPH and still gave me plenty of a workout.

Heck, I put my parents on e-bikes last year for their anniversary. Both of them ride more hours per month outside than I do now, they've both lost weight and feel better. "It's the best present in the world - 72 year old Mom"

From my perspective and I realize it's probably an unpopular opinion, I'm 100% supportive of e-bikes. But my philosophy when I worked at a shop was always: "Whatever it takes to get you riding."
Likes For softreset: