Thread: Post tour
View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 12:04 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by wrldtraveller
Hey folks,

I just completed my first bike tour, I used Trek Checkpoint ALR 5, outfitted with dual racks. I cycled with two friends starting at Vancouver, B.C. and ended my trip at San Francisco, (my friends went on to San Diego). The reason why I ended my trip while my friends didn't is because I was only permitted 35 days to do this bike trip, and by the time I got to San Francisco, and after a day's rest and exploration of San Francisco, I realized I didn't have enough time to continue. Overall, the trip was very enjoyable, and one thing I would improve this trip, is to ask for more time off so I can have plenty of time to explore and cycle.35 days isn't enough time for me.

Now, my question for you folks, how do you deal with the return to civilization and back to the work routine?

For me, its a strange feeling, everyday I was a very goal oriented, wake up, tear down my tents, eat breakfast, pack my bike, then cycle all day (take breaks for snacks and lunch) then find a campsite for the evening ahead of time, then decide what to eat for supper. Arrive campground, set up everything, cook, eat, then clean up, shower if there is a shower, relax for the evening, maybe go for a walk around campground, or on the beach, then go to sleep at night. Always kept myself occupied mentally. Now its back to reality, so to speak, work, home, eat, etc. and it feels boring, nothing special, and I found myself a bit restless, and difficult to fall asleep at night. is this a normal sensation when you finish a long distance touring on a bike and come back to your home?

The best part of my trip was the high speed descent on some of the hills I had to struggle to get up, and the beautiful views of the coastlines, and the awesome size of the Redwood forest as I rode on the Avenue of the Giants in California, and feeling humbled by the hugeness of the Redwood trees that surrounds the roadway, and the daily sights of pastures, cows, farms, and meeting interesting people of all kinds while on tour.

Curious about anyone's experience and how to get back into the normal albiet boring routine of work/home everyday and how to cope with that.

Paul

Stats: Started June 27th, Ended July 27th.
Miles Cycled: 1269 miles

I just go to work. I usually ride there.

The sleep issues you are experiencing are probably due to the nature in which we humans live our lives...i.e. by a clock instead of the sun. On tour I go to bed with the sun and wake up with the sun. At home I go to bed long after the sun is down and wake up before it rises. It's very unnatural and difficult to integrate back into once you get used to the other way of doing it. It will pass.

As for the world being a little dull after a tour, find something to make it brighter. Like I said, I ride to work. I take different routes, I find other things to make my rides interesting.

Originally Posted by wrldtraveller
Right now I am tempted to do a weekend trip, but my bike right now needs a tune up after that pacific coast trip, so its scheduled to get a new brakes, new tubes, a replacement tires.

P
Why does your bike need a tune up. 1300 miles isn't much in the grand scheme of things when it comes to bicycle riding. You probably don't need new brake pads nor tires and certainly don't need new tubes. Unless you were skidding your tires, you probably aren't going to wear out a set of tires in 1300 miles. If you wore out a set of brake pads in that distance, you need to readdress how you are using your brakes.

Your bike probably doesn't need much tuning after even a long tour. Bikes aren't that delicate.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!